Everyone is busy today and building the best home gym need not be an all-or-nothing affair.
Even if you haven’t got a spare room to fill with exercise equipment, picking up the odd smaller machine should be within your reach.
A Roman chair, or hyperextension bench, is a great way to help with back pain or to prevent back injuries from occurring.
They are very compact devices with a wide range of uses.
What Is A Roman Chair?
A Roman chair is also known as a hyperextension bench.
It’s a nifty piece of kit that works out your back along with your core and legs.
Since you derive your power from your back and core, these are key for healthy living.
Whether you’re in great shape and looking to shred your abs, are in rehab from a back injury or anywhere in between, a Roman chair is a fantastic way to get a workout with a twist.
What Are The Benefits of a Roman Chair?
There are a range of benefits you can get from using a hyperextension bench as part of your workout routine…
- Work your whole core including lower back, obliques and rectus abdominis
- Strengthen and tone your waist and hips
- Work out the muscles around your spine safely. This will lead to improved posture and enhance your balance
- Target your hamstrings, glutes, leg muscles and shoulders: Roman chairs are extremely versatile
- Very small and often foldable so suitable even for apartments
- Hyperextension can help significantly to alleviate back pain
- The best product let you perform a vast array of abs routines
- If you look for a model with a dip extension, you can also hit your triceps and chest along with all the other muscles
Do I Need a Roman Chair?
As with any piece of exercise equipment, honestly analyze your needs.
Ask yourself these simple questions:
- Do you suffer from lower back pain?
- Do you want a stronger back either for work or training purposes?
- Do you sit down too much each day and want to take preventive measures against back pain?
- Do you want to hone your midsection, chest and hips?
If you answer yes to any of these, a Roman chair could be worth considering.
What, then, should you look out for when buying one?
What To Look For When Buying?
As with any piece of gym equipment, there are a few specific pointers to bear in mind when looking for the best one.
Make sure the chair bench is comfy.
Thin padding can cause pressure and pain on the back and in your core and legs. Look for one with nice thick material to cushion your workout.
Height adjustment is a critical feature.
You’ll need the height to be spot-on to perform the full range of exercises properly. Too tall or short and it won’t work well.
You’ll want to be able to wipe down your Roman chair easily.
Sweating is inevitable while you are working out using hyperextension so choose a bench with removable covers or easily washable, absorbable materials.
- Build Quality and Design
Seek out a light but stable chair.
A flimsy piece of equipment can move or potentially even flip under heavy use so make sure you buy one that’s fit for purpose.
If you want extras like a dip bar, make sure you look out for this when researching the Roman chair for your requirements.
Reasons To Buy a Roman Chair
- Better Posture
Many people have sedentary jobs. More and more of us are working from home.
Spending too long slumped in front of screens doesn’t do much for the posture. Sitting incorrectly is one of the key reasons for bad posture.
With back extensions and abs workouts, strengthen your core and lower back and improve your posture no end.
- Soothe Back Pain
If you have lower back pain, it’s crucial to consult with your doctor before undertaking any kind of therapy or training.
Hyperextension benches are well known to help soothing back pain so have a chat with your physician and get on that Roman chair.
- Prevent Back Pain
Stave off lower back pain and hernias before they occur.
Many people start weight training and just keep on pounding heavier weights while neglecting their lower back. This can lead to improper posture at first and potentially injury.
Get going with some hyperextension exercises and make sure your back is in peak condition.
- Fully Flexible
This portable piece of gym kit takes up little room for maximum gains.
You can adjust it for pretty much any height so it’s great for all the family.
Some models allow you to make tweaks and adjust the difficulty setting.
- Train The Whole Body
The core purpose of a Roman chair is to work out the lower back with hyperextension.
Secondary muscles are worked as well, though. You can target your abs, legs, glutes, shoulders, neck and more with the Roman chair.
Now you have a good idea of why you should think about buying a Roman chair, we’ll look at 5 Roman chair reviews so you can get the best model for your needs and budget.
Top Roman Chair Reviews
First up in our look at the Roman chairs is a very inexpensive, no-nonsense hyperextension bench from Marcy.
If you are looking to strengthen your core and lower back, this bench is just what the doctor ordered.
It’s easy to put together straight out the box and won’t take up much room. So, if you don’t have the space for a dedicated home gym but still want some indispensable and portable equipment, think seriously about this Marcy Roman chair.
The leather surface wipes down fuss-free and the padding is sufficient to take the edge off but not quite soft enough for some users so think about comfort levels as this is a matter of personal taste.
Foam rollers are cushioned against your legs and easy to adjust to make full use of 6 settings.If you have simple enough training needs and want an entry-level Roman chair that’s rugged and built to last, pop this great bench from Marcy on your shortlist.
- Adjustable leg holder for flexibility, cushioned for comfort
- Super-easy assembly
- Leather cushion comfortable and wipes down easily
- Both long and wide enough for most users
- Built to last with heavy duty steel tubing
- Great value for money
• Padding not soft enough for some
Body Solid Back Hyperextension
A much more expensive take on the Roman chair is up next, the Body Solid Back Hyperextension.
This extremely sturdy and stable professional grade hyperextension bench is not the cheapest on the market but it’s certainly among the best.
Whether you’re a gym owner or want something for your fledgling home gym, this Body Solid bench will not disappoint.
If you are looking to improve your circulation and flexibility while relieving any lower back pain into the bargain, this hyperextension bench is perfect for your needs.
The lifetime guarantee means you’re taking no chances when you invest in this Roman chair. Any problems at all will be taken care of.
Give your abs a great blast and build up your lower back with this rock solid bench.
- Adjustments work smoothly so you can focus on your training
- Perfect for home or commercial use
- Soft, comfortable hip cushioning
- Seat can be adjusted to fit even very tall users
- Lifetime guarantee so buy with complete confidence
- Awkward to assemble
Stamina Hyper Bench
A very reasonably priced Roman chair next, the Hyper Bench from the highly reputable Stamina.
The bench is padded with very thick and durable vinyl. Wipe down after training with ease and embrace the comfort and support on your back as you work out.
The solid steel frame will support even heavy and vigorous use with complete stability.
You can grab the handles and get down to some dips and press-ups meaning that the Hyper Bench is a truly versatile piece of kit.
Both the footrest and backrest are fully adjustable and will accommodate most users. If you are very short, check out that this bench feels good for you before buying.
You can use this bench with or without dumbbells and really chisel your midsection while protecting your lower back.
When it comes to storage, you can fold the Hyper Bench so that stashing it in even a small space is no problem at all.
If you want a rock-hard core and all the benefits that come with this, road test the Stamina Hyper Bench today.
- Thick padding for ultimate comfort while training
- Easy to fold up so simple to store
- High support is fully adjustable
- Non-slip footrest can be tweaked with ease
- Superb value for money
- Backrest can be adjusted for optimum abs targeting
- 10-year frame warranty, 1 year other parts: buy with security
- Not ideal for very short users
A mid-range hyperextension bench is up next, the Powerline Roman chair.
This big and bulky classic frame will support even the largest users. It’s long and wide so you should be able to work out whatever your size.
Heavy gauge, powder-coated steel means that you won’t experience any rocking even if you work out hard on this bench.
The padding is more than enough to allow you to train without worrying about abrading your legs or back.
Target your abs, glutes, hamstrings and lower back with this great Roman chair.
The frame is covered for 10 years while all other parts come under a 1-year limited warranty so you have total peace of mind when buying this hyperextension bench.
If you’re after a pro-grade bench without breaking the bank, take a good look at the Powerline Roman chair.
- Solid structure perfect for larger users
- Wide and long for added versatility
- Padding for your comfort while training
- Adjustable footrest
- Good for home or commercial use
- Professional grade equipment without the price tag
- Handlebar could be longer
Powertec Fitness P-HC10
Last up is range-topping hyperextension bench from Powertec, the P-HC10.
This bench will be equally useful in a home gym or commercial enterprise. It’s incredibly stable and you can train without fretting about rocking or flipping.
One of the key selling points of this example of the best product is its truly versatile nature. You can flick between 45 degree and 90 degree angles adding some essential variety to your workouts. You don’t want your body to become accustomed to certain exercises. Mixing it up is key.
Although it’s a heavy-grade piece of kit that would be perfectly at home in a commercial gym, this Roman chair is also small enough to store away without causing you a headache.
For a first-rate abs and core workout with the ability to target other muscle groups through a full range of motion.
- Easy to adjust in many ways
- Great for hyperextension and stomach work: truly versatile
- Shifts from 45 degrees to 90 degrees so max out your workout
- Great for all shapes and sizes
- Structure offers total stability
- Small enough to store away quite easily
- Expertly padded for optimum comfort
- Expensive (but great value for money)
We hope you have found this look at the Roman chair reviews to be useful and informative.
Whether you want relief from your bad back or you would like to prevent any back pain from setting in, getting one of these hyperextension benches could be a very smart investment.
If you have any questions about Roman chairs or any other aspect of health and fitness. We’ll get back to you as soon as we are able.